Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Billings, Montana

The old town looks the same as I step down from the train and their to meet me is my momma and my poppa....no such luck.  Passenger trains stopped running through Billings many years ago and as for momma and poppa, they too have been gone for a while.  Many things have changed here, some for the better, some not.  Of course Billings population has increased by probably 40,000 or more since I left in 1962.  The farm where I stacked hay and milked cows has been turned into houses.  The road where cows grazed and my horse and I kept watch is now 56th St. West and a proposed middle school is about to take shape.  The 3 room school that I attended from 3rd grade to 8th grade is now a photography studio. 
One of my best friends died this year and my brother and sister-in-law are thinking about moving into a retirement center.  Where does that leave me?  Well, it sure has got me thinking.  My eyes are going along with my hearing.  If my ass was not attached to my body, I would forget it.  I'm tired 3/4 of the time.  I did feel alive as I drove here from Arizona though.  Officer Gonzalez, who practices law enforcement in New Mexico, was so impressed by my organizational skills and travel plans that he wished me well and didn't even issue a warning.  I did slow down and that was a good thing because Officer Gonzalez passed me again, lights flashing, on his way to something pressing. 
Jerry and Bobby have welcomed me with open arms and I'm so grateful that I have such wonderful relatives.  I will be with them for most of my visit except for 3 days at my other sister-in-law's home and a day or two with friends.  My plan is to leave here on the 23rd and spend until August 20th with Michelle, Rob, Alexis and Keegan in Richland and Sandpoint, Idaho. 
Getting on toward bedtime now so good night, good luck and may the Good Lord take a liken to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment