Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Letters, phone calls and a warm touch

These are the things, on a 112 degree day, that find their way to the computer and maybe a reader or two.
Receiving a letter is a good thing.  If we give it some thought before ripping it open quickly hoping this is not an illusion, we remember when life was more calm.
For me, herding cows on the gravel road leading to town on Saturday for groceries.  Laying under the cottonwood tree waiting for the different species of cows to munch their way and thus disturb my day dreams.  My horse, Lucky, contented as I now rousts to action.  He and I turn them  around, ride to their next destination and begin our time of reflection all over again.  Lucky eats and I watch the clouds go by and make up stories of the characters I see artfully created by God.  Peace in abundance.
The 21st century has so many gadgets. It is amazing and mind boggling how it keeps us connected to people, places and things.  Most of it is totally unnecessary and a waste of time, unlike what I'm doing right now of course.
When a letter is received.  Please refer to sentence number 2 above.  The writer has taken time to think of just you to communicate his or her thoughts.
A phone call sends my heart soring because I hear the voice of someone I care about caring about me.  So many memories of being together come flooding back as I visualize the caller. 
A loving touch of a hand that wasn't planned or carried out because of feelings of obligation. 
Yes, I yearn for the days of yesteryears.  They won't return but I can keep them alive by writing a letter, making a phone call or touching a hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment