Monday, November 23, 2009

More Memories

Teaching the calves to drink from a bucket after they were weened was one chore I didn't mind doing. The bucket was about 1/2 full of milk and the calf would suck my fingers and I would lower his/her head into the bucket. When it felt like he/she was drinking on their own, I would remove my fingers from their mouth. It usually took about 3 or 4 tries but they caught on pretty fast. That was a fun chore, cleaning the chicken coup wasn't. As I write this I can almost choke on the ammonia smell. It was a big accomplishment though and putting down fresh straw gave it a clean and fresh smell. The old hens were less likely to peck me when I fished an egg out from under them. They really scared me. I mentioned earlier that I had a horse named Lucky. Lucky and I were best friends and chased many a make believe indian around the field and over ditches. Mom never let me ride with a saddle because she was afraid I would get throwed and catch my foot in a stirrup. When Lucky and I took off at full speed I felt I was a part of him. I would lock my legs around him, lean over his head and fly like the wind. When I was about 12 or 13 I began losing interest in riding and Lucky was sold to another younger girl. I didn't see him again. It was hard to see him go but I knew he would be happier with someone who spent more time with him. As I remember that day, I get a little teary because I was already beginning to get my priorities all screwed up. If is only a word!

1 comment:

  1. I love that description of being one with Lucky. I don't have nearly as fond of memories about my childhood horse. By the way, I'm loving these stories! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete